Monday, April 22, 2013

Exploring Dyer Park near West Palm Beach

Sunday morning provided a brief respite to the sweltering weather of the past few days, making me think it was a perfect day to explore Dyer Park.

Built on a former landfill, west of West Palm Beach, the 560.4-acre park is one of the few places in the county with hills -- other than the bridges that connect the mainland with the barrier islands.

The park features include equestrian trails, bicycle paths, mountain bike trails, soccer fields, radio-controlled airplane/helicopter area, freshwater fishing, walking paths and the best part of all, dogs on leashes are allowed.

I packed water for me and my dog, his collapsible bowl (present from my niece and nephew -- thanks, Julia and Jon) and some treats to get him into the car.

Here's what we saw:


Pastoral scene made me feel as if we were in the South of France. We saw only a few cyclists and walkers while we were there. Maybe it was the early hour of a Sunday morning, but as we were leaving about 8:30 a.m., many more cars were pulling in, including minivans loaded with soccer playing kids.


Lots of blue sky when I looked up through the slash pines.


An abundance of tall slash pines as far as the eye could see.



A mountain bike trail on the hillside. We actually climbed up this hill, good thing I was wearing my hat with the drawstring attached because it was quite breezy at the top and my one hand was holding the leash to my dog.


Here is the famous Miska! He was very thirsty after our 2-mile walk, although the park has 4 miles of walking trails. We saw only three people with dogs who were about twice the size of mine. Even so, my dog gave this park a paw's up.

Helpful tip: If you take a dog to Dyer, bring your own poop bags because the park doesn't have any bag stations.

Favorite park?


What's your favorite Palm Beach County park? Please let me know in the comments section below.

And now, for my numbers


I had my best walking day last week on Saturday, April 20, 2013, when I walked:

Steps: 10,535
Miles: 5.3



No comments:

Post a Comment