Monday, October 7, 2013

Defying gravity with aerial yoga in Delray Beach

Yoga inversions are made easier with the help of a fabric swing. (Photo provided)

Defy Gravity Yoga held a chic grand opening last week in Delray Beach, complete with organic juices and small, healthy bites.

But for me, the real draw was the studio's name. I wanted me to find out what type of yoga was practiced there.

Practitioners sit in silk fabric hammocks to get into the more difficult inversions. That's what led owner Lisa Midlarsky to try aerial yoga. "I was able to do inversions that I couldn't do on my own," she said.




Here's a video to help you understand what aerial yoga is all about:




At the grand opening, participants had to sign a waiver in order to try the fabric swings. I signed one and soon I was lying on my back inside a swing.

I had my arms folded across my chest with my palms
resting on opposite shoulders. (Photo provided)

Afterwards, I felt relaxed because my trainer had performed reiki on me. Reiki is a Japanese technique for stress reduction and relaxation.

The swings are made of a silk-nylon blend and are cleaned after every class, Midlarsky said. She has two sets, so that while one is being cleaned, the other can be used. Each swing has 35 feet of fabric and can support 2,000 pounds, she said. The points in the ceiling where the swing is attached are done by a professional contractor and certified by an engineer, according to the studio's website.

At the grand opening, they offered a special of three classes for $29. Otherwise the classes cost $20 each, or $25 for drop-ins. Packages are available.

A trainer (left) shows a guest how to get into the yoga
swing at Thursday's grand opening. 

If I lived or worked near downtown Delray Beach, I would have purchased the $29 package. I'm wondering whether any of my followers have tried aerial yoga to do an inversion and what was the best part. Please share your comments below.

Free yoga for 'tweens


Instructor Brooke Joy Waszak is now teaching Yoga for 'Tweens at the Mandel Public Library of West Palm Beach.

The free classes will be held from 12:30-1:30 p.m. on Oct. 19, Oct. 26 and Nov. 2, all Saturdays.

And now, for my numbers


I had my best walking day last week on Monday, Sept. 30, 2013, when I walked:

Steps: 11,149
Miles: 5.6

1 comment:

  1. Really your blog is very interesting.... it contains great and unique information. I enjoyed to visiting your blog. It's just amazing.... Thanks very muchYoga studio

    ReplyDelete