Monday, October 28, 2013

Costumed dogs in West Palm Beach

This golden retriever was wearing a "Wide Retriever"
football jersey. But he didn't stay to join the contest.

Saturday mornings, before yoga at the Mandel Public Library of West Palm Beach, I park in the Banyan Street garage for free and make my way down to the GreenMarket.

I buy greens from my favorite vendor, Stephen's Produce. The proprietor of that stand and Stephen's dad, Ken Shuler, often sells out of what-I-consider the primo greens by the time yoga is over. I select and pay for my greens before yoga, and Ken is nice enough to hold them in his coolers for me.

It also gives me a chance to scope out the market and their special events. This past Saturday, they had a Halloween costume contest for dogs at 11 a.m.


I am a dog lover so I high-tailed my return to the GreenMarket in time to see 10 dogs and their owners line up to be judged.

Here are some of the costumed dogs:

Drake, a black Labrador, was dressed as Superman.

The costumed dogs line up with their owners. They were
complimented on how well-behaved they were. (Maybe
that was also the wish of the GreenMarket organizers.)


The dog dressed as a Batman captured my attention.

The judges, though, preferred this Boston terrier dressed
as an old-fashioned golfer.

The bride and groom Chihuahuas came in second.

This bulldog with the headless horseman on his back
won third prize.
This dog sported a monkey-on-his-back costume which
made the crowd giggle when the costume was announced. 

The contest ended too soon for me, but probably not soon enough for the dogs. Those of us standing on pavement appreciated when a cloud blocked the sun.

But I did add another 1,500 steps from walking around the GreenMarket after the costume contest. So I felt like a winner, too!

And now, for my numbers


I had my best walking day last week on Thursday, Oct. 24, 2013 when I walked:

Steps: 11,603
Miles: 5.8

No comments:

Post a Comment