Monday, March 16, 2015

Bird-watching at Wakodahatchee Wetlands


The chattering of the mating birds was overwhelming Sunday at Wakodahatchee Wetlands.

The birds drew visitors who packed the parking lots heading to the boardwalk while holding digital cameras with gigantic zoom lenses or powerful binoculars or smart phones. I had my trusty iPhone 5S with me.

A woodstork helps to build his nest while sharing the
tree with egrets, anhingas and herons.



Some highlights



                                          A male heron lands on a branch forcing the other 
                                                             heron to make way for him.

An Anhinga spreads its wings to dry after some fishing. These
water birds don't have waterproof feathers as ducks do, allowing
the anhingas to stay below the surface longer. 

A male great egret with its mating plumage spread as if
it were a bride's wedding dress train,
A little blue heron watches the scene.

Another male great egret with its wedding dress train.

This path near the end shows the variety of birds at the created
wetlands. I did see a roseate spoonbill, but it was too far away
for me to photograph.

                                          A snowy egret fishes in the wetlands. Listen carefully
                                                    to hear the sweet chirps of the birds. 



                                          Look closely to see the turtle swimming under water.

All told, I added another 1.2 miles to my daily count and left with a smile on my face. That is why I love being outside this time of year. 

And now, for my numbers


I had my best walking day last week on Saturday, March 14, 2015, when I walked:

Steps: 11,624
Miles: 5.8

No comments:

Post a Comment