Sunday, January 18, 2015

How to put more steps in your life

I try to work more steps into my regular life each day so that walking becomes routine.

Sunday, I wanted to go to Sunday on the Waterfront in West Palm Beach where 2009 American Idol winner, Kris Allen, was playing.

The free show started at 4 p.m., so I drove up at 3 p.m. to get some walking in along the waterfront first. The gorgeousness of the day lured me outside where it was a wonderful 78 degrees with a nice breeze.

This view from South Cove Natural Area boardwalk looks
as if it were painted.



Park far from destination


The first thing I did was park a few blocks away from the waterfront. Now in West Palm Beach that is not hard to do, especially on a Sunday when parking is free and spots fill quickly. But I do make a point to park far way from where I am supposed to be.

I came upon this group tour of people on Segways. Cool and unusual way to see the sites in West Palm Beach and Palm Beach.



Then I saw this woman ask a couple to take her picture in front of a watercraft. The man obliged.



Walk as much as possible


As I walked down Flagler Drive to the South Cove Natural Area, about 1 mile from where I parked, I passed many people who like me just needed to be outside. Students studying, people walking their dogs, couples pushing baby carriages or riding bikes made me smile.



From the South Cove boardwalk, I saw some mangrove plantings. I was relieved to see my tax dollars at work on something so useful:


Then it was time to turn back and I saw this splendid sight:

I realized how lucky I am to live in such beautiful surroundings.
This boy provided entertainment for us while we waited for Kris Allen to take the stage:

He looked so serious as he scooted around wearing a Teenage Mutant
Ninja turtle blanket converted into a cape.

The headliner


Kris Allen had the West Palm crowd eating out of his hand
when he commented about the view from the stage. He
looked out over the lawn and onto the spectacular waterfront.
And, his songs had everyone dancing in front.

Still time to join Extra Steppers


If you exercise at all, please consider joining the Let's Move campaign, which goes until Jan. 31 in Palm Beach County. Log your minutes using the same email address. In the box that says "Individual," click on it until you see Team Extra Steppers. You can enter your minutes here.

And now, for my numbers

I had my best walking day last week on Friday, Jan. 16, 2015, when I walked:

Steps: 11,956
Miles: 6.0

No comments:

Post a Comment