Monday, January 28, 2013

Running and spinning in Palm Beach Gardens

Aimee Lucas
Meet Aimee Lucas, a customer consultant who often travels for work but still finds time for her fitness routine. 

She's actually a "customer experience analyst" for the Boston area Temkin Group. That means she researches and consults with companies to improve their customers' experience to increase customer loyalty.

Lucas, of Palm Beach Gardens, took some time from her busy schedule to answer questions about staying fit while keeping a demanding job. 

How does your job affect your running schedule?

The only time my job affects my running is when I am on the road (between 25-40 percent of the time). Often, business travel days are booked from morning to night -- which can limit time to run. Sometimes I'll get up early to squeeze a workout in before the day starts.

But every destination typically has a hotel fitness center -- and sometimes great outdoor locations to run when the weather cooperates. Other times, I just plan ahead and use travel days as rest days.

What's your favorite fitness activity and why?

I love training for events with Team in Training -- primarily because of the camaraderie, the friendships that form on a team, and for the accountability of meeting other people and the fact that we all support each other.  

Our Saturday morning trainings are a great time ... and it's not unusual for groups of current team members and alumni to also meet up during the week to get a few miles in.  

When I'm not doing that -- I do love Spinning at my local gym. With the right instructor, it can be a fantastic workout, with good music, and I find I really push my limits when I'm on a Spin bike. I always see an improvement in my running and walking when I regularly get some spin classes on my workout schedule.  

I have a road bike as well -- but have neglected it lately ... I enjoy mixing in outdoor cycling in the summer (when all the seasonal traffic diminishes).


John Bingham, known as "The Penguin"
 for his waddling style of running
What are your fitness goals for the year and how does the 100 Days Challenge help make that possible?

For 2013 -- like many people -- I want to get leaner, stronger, and faster. And that takes a combination of good nutrition, good exercise, and mixing things up and pushing myself when I'm doing any kind of physical fitness. 

The 100 Days Challenge helps in a few ways -- one: there's an entire online community of people pursuing the same goal and the daily focus of at least 30 minutes of some purposeful movement builds the habit. When I see John Bingham or other people post their daily activity on Facebook or Twitter, it's a little push to get my activity in if I haven't already done so. Two: it also gave my local friends and I something to rally around at the start of the year. Experts say it takes between three weeks and 30 days to build a habit -- the 100 Days Challenge mindset helps!

How does being involved with Team in Training help you achieve your running goals?


I have to give all credit to Team in Training for helping me find my inner endurance athlete. Honestly, if it hadn't been for a friend calling me and inviting me to join with her, I'm not sure I would have found my way to TNT. I'm so glad I did because it changed my life.  

As a first-time participant, it gave me the knowledge and the support from coaches, staff, and team-mates on how to prepare to complete 26.2 miles -- all while supporting a cause of curing blood cancers that I had a personal connection with. Attempting 26.2 miles scared me -- but TNT provided a daily schedule to get physically ready, and the coaches and staff gave us the gear, hydration, nutrition, and mental readiness guidance that goes along with getting the body ready to do a marathon.

I intended to be a "one-and-done" marathoner -- but it was the people I got to know that first season that kept me involved. I went from participant, to team mentor, to certified coach. The people I've met, friendships I've made have kept me coming back -- and push me to become better myself. 


Aimee Lucas on far right with family at 2012 Ibis 5K
after Thanksgiving.
What races have you entered? 



Assorted 5Ks and 10Ks.



What is your favorite (length or location) and why?

Rock'n'Roll San Diego will always be close to my heart. It was my first marathon. I've gone back and done the full and half distances a few more times as both participant and TNT coach. It's a well-run race in one of my favorite cities, and every race trip is always a good time. 

What is your best overall time for a particular race?

My "fastest" race (keeping in mind I run and walk) was a 5K I did up in Boston one evening this past summer. I finished in 33:19 which was great for me, especially considering I really hadn't planned on running until that afternoon.

Anything else?

I'm wrapping up a season now with a group getting ready for the Princess Half-Marathon up at Disney next month.  

This summer, I'll be coaching for TNT getting a group ready for the Nike Women's 1/2 or Full Marathon in San Francisco in October. This is a neat race because the finish medal is actually a Tiffany necklace handed out by local firefighters in tuxes at the finish line.

And now, for my numbers:

I had my best walking day last week on Saturday, Jan. 26, 2013, when I walked:

Steps: 11,218
Miles: 5.6



2 comments:

  1. Jane, I enjoyed this posting and the related links. I've checked out the 100 Day Challenge and also the Team in Training links. Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Stephanie! You should enjoy your time spent with TNT. Let me know how you like the 100 Days Challenge.

    ReplyDelete