Monday, February 4, 2013

Inflatable colon returns to West Palm Beach waterfront

I wondered whether the inflatable colon would return to the Meyer Amphitheatre for Saturday's Undy 5000. I was happy to see it because the tunnel provided some relief from the winds that were whipping around the West Palm Beach waterfront. 

It was a mere 54 degrees when I left my house in Lake Worth. 


Inflatable colon provides relief from the wind while showing colon cancer cells as scary red blotches.
But I did not go inside the tunnel. Last year, I learned my lesson while walking through that inflatable: Colon cancer is scary ugly, something you definitely don't want to have growing inside you.



About 300 people had registered for the event, far below the 15,000 who came out the week before for the Komen Race for the Cure

Maybe it's the area of the body that few want to call attention to, but colon cancer is curable, if caught early.

The organizers of the 5K run/walk gave out boxer shorts instead of T-shirts to call attention to the area that needs to be checked. Hence, the name — Undy 5000.


Even an Irish setter wears a pair of Undy 5000 boxers.
Chico, the husband of an Okeeheelee Middle School teacher, had died on Monday from complications of his cancer, but the school's team, including his wife, did the 5K. 



The team's name became Chico's Warriors as they charge on in his memory.


My favorite team name was created by this group from Miami:


Their name? You Better Rectumize. 

Lee Cooper of the Bottoms-UP! team raised the most money for the Colon Cancer Alliance individually -- $4,743 -- and as a team -- $4,793.


Lee Cooper poses in his bathrobe that he wore to do the 5K.
My team, composed of Prudence Padgett (left), Aaron Wormus, Prudence's daughter Savannah and myself, were chilly by the time the 5K started. 



We joked that we were bringing up the rear, and then decided that would be a great name for next year's Undy 5000 team. So my friends, family and followers, you have ample time to put cash aside for next fall when I call you to support the Undy 5K. Let's hear it for: Bringing Up the Rear!


Wormus, aka @aGuyOnClematis, finished walking the 5K in less than 1 hour. 

In the meantime, please don't put off your colonoscopy. The life you save could be your own.


And now, for my numbers


It's not surprising I had my best walking day last week on that Saturday, Feb. 2, 2013, when I walked the Undy 5000:

Steps: 17,955
Miles: 9.0

No comments:

Post a Comment