Thursday, March 7, 2013

Tips for staying fit while working from home in Lake Worth

I like the freedom and flexible schedule I have while freelancing from my Lake Worth home. 

But I don't like the nearness of my kitchen with its endless possibilities of snacks. I don't buy junk food or diet sodas any more, but even apples have a way of adding to your waistline when you eat more than one a day.

At a Thanksgiving feast last year at my friend's house, I met her cousin who also works from home. When I mentioned my fitness blog, she asked me to write about "Staying fit while working from home" because she's gained extra pounds since she started working from home.

Here are my top tips, please add yours in the comments section below:

Omron pedometer
1. Get a pedometer, preferably with a leash and clip so that you can attach it to your pants, skirt or shorts. My first one had a big clip only, allowing the pedometer to fall off every time I bent down. 

Next, I bought an Omron pedometer, which tracks steps and miles for 7 days, a big plus when I sometimes would forget to write down my numbers at the end of the day. The small plastic clip that came with the leash on my Omron pedometer broke a while back. I used a safety pin to attach to my pants pocket while I searched for a new clip. I eventually found metal clips at a sewing store, they similar to the ones used to attach mittens to their sleeves. 

You can now buy a safety leash with a metal clip for your Omron! I recommend this.
Safety leash for Omron pedometer

Aim for 10,000 steps, or 5 miles daily. I usually meet that goal on weekends when I am more active. Track your steps in a special journal.

2. Get yourself a dog. They are more reliable than a human walking buddy because they are always eager to go for a walk. Medium and larger size dogs work well. If I am not already up when it's light outside, my dog Miska (MEEESH-ka) barks until he hears me moving around. We also go for an evening walk. That's a good way to add at least 2 miles daily to my tally.
My dog Miska

3. Find a low-cost place for yoga or exercise classes. I go to yoga classes offered twice weekly at the Mandel Public Library of West Palm Beach. I also take a weekly Xtend Barre class, think of cardio ballet, in West Palm Beach.

I also have a stash of yoga and exercise DVDs that I play when it's rainy outside.

4. Take breaks every hour when working at your computer. Consider doing some squats or other exercises during the breaks. For squats, often called the best exercise to do daily, practice proper form: Fold your arms across your chest, bend your knees and lower your body until your thighs are parallel with the floor.

If you can't do regular squats, try wall squats: 



Some people swear by their treadmill desks, saying they can type at speeds of 2 miles per hour. They can be pricey, so investigate them before you buy.

5. Try not to eat at your computer. Your computer will thank you by working better if crumbs are not in its keyboard.

6. Use the bathroom farthest from your computer to get in more daily steps.


And now, for my numbers


I had my best walking day last week on Sunday, Feb. 24, 2013, when I walked:

Steps: 10,794

Miles: 5.4


 



2 comments:

  1. Some good ideas, Jane. I find that my dog is my best exercise buddy, though it's great to get out with family members, friends, and neighbors, too. As someone who works from home at times, I'd add the following suggestions:
    -- You can also try having a few inexpensive items to help you exercise at your desk such as an exercise band or ball. (I know a teacher who uses a ball to sit at her desk as it keeps her muscles engaged and encourages her to roll around.) The health experts are all saying how bad it is to be sit still for long periods, so it's even more reason to use some of these items (as well as to get up and go outside.)
    -- Prepare snacks such as cut-up fruit or carrot chips and put them in your fridge at eye level so that you have a good option to grab when you do get the urge to eat and go to your fridge. Having it ready and visible will make it more likely for you to make a good choice. You can also consider bagging a set portion so you don't overeat and including some protein to curb hunger.


    ReplyDelete
  2. Good suggestions, Stephanie!

    I like the sitting on the balance ball! You are so right about sitting still for long periods being detrimental to your health.

    Thanks for taking the time to comment.

    ReplyDelete