Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Doing the Turkey Trot through Palm Beach

Shiny Sheet staffers pose after the Turkey Trot. A few ran, the rest jogged,
walked or strolled.
I knew the 5K Turkey Trot would be a special race. The swag befitted its Palm Beach location. With our registration package, they gave each participant a bag of goodies, which contained a soft T-shirt, Onli lemon watermelon sparkling water, Fiber One nutrition bar and reflector to wear, along with the registration bib.

It was more than enough to make me want to take up running. I did start the 5K jogging -- mostly because I was in a pack of runners.


The temperature was a cool 48 degrees at race time, but more than 700 hardy souls participated in the fifth annual Palm Beach United Way 5K Turkey Trot. I liked its motto: "Run the race before you stuff your face."

Before the race started, the DJ said we should all hug each other to get warm. Then he added that everyone needs at least eight hugs a day to stay balanced. So strangers were hugging each other to reach eight that morning.

Pre-race and people are moving to stay warm.

Pre-race, these women wore pilgrim hats.

Tutus were popular outfits at the 5K.
This boy was whining about the cold, but he stopped and
smiled for this photo. Notice the unusual headgear the
woman pushing his stroller is wearing.

The race was hosted by the Islanders, who often dress up for this 5K. But it was presumably too cold for most costumes. Co-sponsors were Wally Findlay Galleries and Livingston Builders.

As we wound through the streets of northern Palm Beach, small signs were posted every so often to keep everyone moving with a smile on their faces.


After the 5K, these two had the most interesting outfits. 

Former co-workers Valerie Dennis and Ken Bohannon
ran the 5K.

Cara Coniglio McClure, chairman of the Islanders, helped her sister Jan-Marie
Coniglio Cook give out trophies and then raffle prizes after the race. Photo
by Lucien Capehart Photography.


I felt virtuous after the 5K, ready and willing to stuff my face at the Thanksgiving feast. Thanks to the Shiny Sheet for making that possible for me and nine other staffers.


And now, for my numbers


I had my best walking day last week on that Thursday, Nov. 28, 2013, when I walked:

Steps: 13,125
Miles: 6.6

2 comments:

  1. I thought this was a really fun race and the town of Palm Beach and United Way put it together well. And I couldn't agree more on that soft T-shirt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are exactly right, Val! Plus, they raffled off really cool prizes. I wonder what Ken did with the bracelets he received.
    Thanks for reading my blog!

    ReplyDelete