Sunday, January 25, 2015

Hooping for fitness in Royal Palm Beach

Who knew that a social media strategist was using a Hula-Hoop as part of her fitness routine?

One of members of the Team Extra Steppers posted about Hula-Hooping in the morning. I wanted to know more. I did a basic Google search and found that my friend, who I met at a Tweetup, was part of trend that seeks to make fitness fun.

Here is a picture of the Hula-Hoop that she posted on Instagram last July:

New Health Goal: #Hooplahooping :) Anyone have tips?



Tara Husband has her own social media company, is married and has a daughter. Here's a video she posted over the Christmas holidays:




She took some time to explain her hooping for fitness routine:

How and why did you start hooping for health?

I began July 10, 2014 (with the Instagram post). 

Earlier in the summer I checked in to Hippocrates Health Institute to try and get my health under control. They had many workout classes to take but I needed to take it slow and build my way up. I remember staring at the Hula-Hoop and wondering if I could do that?

My daughter could hoop for an entire episodes of My Little Pony. It seemed easy enough. Right? I picked it up, swung it around my then much rounder body and it went kerplunk to the floor. 

Determined I kept on and on and on and on. It took about three months until I could keep it up at least 30 times. After months now I can keep it up for several songs -- with my hoop. 

How often do you do it?

I hoop a dozen times per week usually before and after meals for three songs. Just to get my adrenaline pumping if I feel tired.  

My next goal is to learn a few tricks. Plus, I'd really like a lighted hoop so I can do it at night.

Where did you grow up and how did that influence your lifestyle? 

I grew up in the Midwest from Texas, New Mexico, Oklahoma up to North Dakota traveling around and living on Federal Fish Hatcheries. My dad was a scientist and my mom is a teacher. I was always outdoors running, playing hard, building tree-houses, climbing, swimming, canoeing, biking. I was a cheerleader. I still like to play hard. If working out isn't fun then I don't want to do it. 

What other changes did you make in the past year to become healthier?

My doctor has me on a two-year plan with Hippocrates Health Institute.  

I'm eating an 80 percent raw food vegan diet. What does that mean?  About two pounds of fresh greens a day, including sunflower or pea green sprouts. I'm supposed to (drink greens) juice every day but only get 2 or 3 a week in.


I also sprout mung beans and garbanzo beans for my salads.  My cholesterol dropped over 100 points, I’m off my blood sugar medicine and have lost 45 pounds.

While at Hippocrates I became a Hippocrates Health Educator and won the title "Biggest transformation," plus their prestigious monetary award for best business plan. 

My hubby made me a #rawfood lunch. I'm so thankful! #edgyraw #vegan
How does winning the Best Business Plan at Hippocrates allow you to maintain a healthy lifestyle?

People may be wondering like I did "Isn't Hippocrates expensive?" If you are a middle-classer like me, Yes!  

So I went to work to see how health insurance could reimburse me for my stay. After just a few days, my insurance company verbally agreed to pay at least 70 percent as long as I had diagnosis codes, procedure codes and an encounter forms.  

My goal is to help people receive reimbursement from their health insurance companies for alternative health-care opportunities.  Alternative options may includes Hippocrates Health Institute, weight loss programs and hormonal blood work panels. If a place like Hippocrates can start getting people with health insurance reimbursed it could open up at a whole new opportunity to help people in need. The startup is called Payslay.com

I've discovered who I surround myself with is a big part of what gives me energy and makes me happy. I'm working hard to continue my relationships with some of the healthiest people on the planet.  

(Important to remember the mind is connected to your body!)


Hooping while running record


Maybe Tara will take up Hula-Hoop running? Hula-Hoop advocate Betty Hoops had a record run at the Hollywood Half-Marathon: 








And now, for my numbers


I had my best walking day last week on Sunday, Jan. 18, 2015, when I walked:

Steps: 11,616
Miles: 5.8

No comments:

Post a Comment