Thursday, January 2, 2014

Happy New Year from Lake Worth beach

Sunrise at Lake Worth beach on New Year's Day 2014

Early on New Year's Day, I headed to the Lake Worth beach for my morning walk. The skies were cloudy and the brisk 15-mph made me think the temperature was more like 65 degrees.

I saw families walking along the beach, with dads toting little ones on their shoulders. Other people were sitting in lounge chairs, watching the waves roll in and some party-goers looked like they never went home from their New Year's Eve festivities.




Champagne, anyone?

These kids no doubt woke their parents early to get to the beach.

A group of friends greet the New Year.

A carefree girl skips along the surf.

This group watches the waves as they roll in and out.

I logged 1.8 miles by doing a lap around the beach buildings. My dog would have liked the brisk weather, but he passed away in late November. He was my faithful companion and walking buddy for 12 years. I will adopt another dog in a few months after I finish the interior painting that I postponed in early October when my dog was diagnosed with cancer.

Until then, I need some tips on how to be more active. I do okay in the mornings, still getting up early and even added more blocks to my walk. But since my dog stopped walking with me a few weeks before he died, I haven't done the extra mile or so in the evenings.

Any thoughts about what I could do to stay fit that would not cost a lot of money? Please let me know in the comments section below.

And now, for my numbers


I have two weeks worth of numbers to report because I was out of the state for one week.

For the week ending Dec. 21, 2013, I had my best walking day on Friday, Dec. 20, 2013 when I walked:

Steps: 9,378
Miles: 4.7

For the week ending Dec. 28, 2013, I had my best walking day on Saturday, Dec. 28, 2013 when I walked:

Steps: 9,308
Miles: 4.7

4 comments:

  1. Happy New Year, Jane! Thanks for all your blog entries, they always remind me to get out and get some exercise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Aaron! And thanks for reading my blog and taking the time to comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jane, Sorry to hear about your dog. You must really miss him. I think the best inexpensive exercise routes are the classes at the West Palm library, but I imagine that you've tried many of those. A friend of mine recommends the Zumba. Our family got bicycles for Christmas, so we've been taking some rides. That's really nice, and not expensive once you have the bicycle. Happy 2014 to you! Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Steph, for the kind words about my dog. And thanks for the tips!
    I did try Zumba the other day at the WPB library. It was a lot of fun, but I don't know how often I could make that class because it's in middle of Tuesday afternoons.
    I think a bike is out for now -- LW streets are bumpy with many potholes and patches. The city does not have the money to repave its streets.
    Happy New Year to you, too!
    Thanks for reading my blog and taking the time to comment.

    ReplyDelete