Monday, January 20, 2014

Lake Worth beach on a shivery Sunday morning

Normally yoga students practice on this section of the beach at sunrise
every Sunday.
About 7 a.m. Sunday morning, it was a frosty, 42 degrees when I started my car. My windshield had actual ice on it! Yes, I was surprised to see ice in South Florida.

But I still drove to the Lake Worth beach for my Sunday morning walk. I was prepared for the weather with multiple layers that started with a camisole under a turtleneck and ended with a hooded rain jacket. In between, I wore a long-sleeved pullover fleece and a fleece jacket. I also had a shawl that I turned into a scarf by wrapping it around my neck and head, and my hands were inside leather gloves.

I was toasty!


The beach, though, was practically deserted. No yoga practitioners were there. Just a few surfers were out -- the shallow swells may have kept most away. The cool Adirondack chairs outside of Mulligan's remained empty.

Empty Adirondack chairs outside of Mulligan's

The people I saw were all bundled up. Some came prepared and brought coffee with them.

The couple in the background told me about a manatee they had seen that
morning. I was surprised to learn that some manatees swim in the ocean.

I saw two surfers, each one wore a wet suit.



The moon was still out when I made my first lap around the beach buildings.



When I saw a woman carrying her guitar up from the beach, I wondered what she had played to greet the sunrise.



Just before I left, I saw a group of cyclists in the adjacent county park, fooling around as they waited for the rest of their group to assemble.

This woman asked her friend to take a picture of her
wearing mittens in Florida. She repeated, "Mittens
in Florida" and giggled.
And so it was another productive Sunday morning for me at the beach. I logged 2 miles.

And now, for my numbers


I had my best walking day last week on Friday, Jan. 17, 2014, when I walked:

Steps: 10,799
Miles: 5.4

No comments:

Post a Comment