Monday, December 1, 2014

Smelling through West Palm Beach garden

Sunday was a beautiful but blustery day here in Palm Beach County.

Wouldn't it be great, I thought, to photograph wind in action. I decided to drive up to Mounts Botanical Garden, across Military Trail from Palm Beach International Airport. It would be a veritable wind tunnel up there, with palm fronds swaying in the wind.

The planes were noisy as they landed and took off from the airport, often making the butterflies scatter. But I was soon lost in the garden, entranced by its fragrant blooms and brilliant hues that I forgot about my idea of photographing wind.

Here are five plants that caught my eyes and nose:



1. Bourbon rose

When the double white flowers of the Boule de neige (ball of snow) are opened
fully, the outer petals roll back at the tips giving the blossom a rounded, snow-
ball-like appearance. The flowers carried a moderate damask rose fragrance. 




2. Giant fishtail palm

The full name of this palm is the mountain giant fishtail
palm (Caryota urens). I almost missed this towering  beauty
until I remembered to look up.

3. Pink Drift rose

This French hybrid was all show and no smell, but that pretty pink shade
 made me stop and look.
4. Fennel

The air smelled of anise in the vegetable garden. I looked
down at the ground and saw fennel plants wafting in the
breeze below.  
5. Meiwa kumquats

I so wanted to try the nearly ripe fruit of this meiwa kumquat
tree, but a sign forbade tasting the fruits and veggies grown
in the garden. Supposedly the rind is sweet and its inside is
sour. Who wouldn't like that sweet-sour combination?

I added about 1.8 mile in my stroll through the garden and I felt my spirits uplifted by being out in nature for that time. Ever had that reaction?

And now, for my numbers

I had my best walking day last week on Saturday, Nov. 29, 2014, when I walked:

Steps: 11,350
Miles: 5.7

No comments:

Post a Comment