Sunday, October 12, 2014

Visiting West Palm Beach GreenMarket on opening day

During the summer, when forced to eat greens from California, I longed for the return of the GreenMarket in West Palm Beach. Local produce rules there. That's why I happily stopped by the GreenMarket before my Saturday yoga class at the Mandel Public Library of West Palm Beach.





Just before nine, the market was tranquil.



I am sad that my old friends from Stephen's Produce can no longer do the market. It was too much for Stephen's dad. Years ago, when I first started going to the market, Stephen was in high school and faithfully came each Saturday to the GreenMarket. He also liked my former dog, and Miska liked him, too.

Since then, Stephen enrolled in the University of Florida where he graduated with an engineering degree, worked in the oil industry in California and now is married and living in Washington, D.C.


Stephen Nie (left) made a rare appearance at the
GreenMarket in April 2013. His dad (middle) and brother
manned the Stephen's Produce stand in his absence.
That's why my first stop Saturday was the Swank farms stand that grows and sells greens and other veggies raised hydroponically on its farm in Loxahatchee Groves.

Grower Jody Swank talks to a customer about the farm's
charitable events, known as the Swank Table.


I zipped through the market and stopped to snap this picture. What a wonderful idea! They took the high-top tables that were on the other side of the lawn last season and dressed them in bright fabrics with a small vase of fresh flowers.



By the time I came back after yoga, most of the locally grown veggies were sold. But the line for Fresh Cider Doughnuts stretched nearly to Clematis Street.



I was good, though, and just ordered a hot coffee from the new vendor, Rabbit Coffee Roasting. The day was unusually warm, but I still prefer my coffee hot. It was tasty, not bitter. Next week, they promised to have sleeves to go around their cups. I will return.



And now, for my numbers:

I had my best walking day last week on Saturday, Oct. 11, 2014, when I clocked:

Steps: 13,067
Miles: 6.5

No comments:

Post a Comment